We have collected 10 good tips for you to follow if you want to start cold water swimming / winter swimming.
Our advice will make your experience both safer and more enjoyable. Enjoy your swim in the sea or lake :)
BEFORE ENTERING THE WATER:
1. Never bathe alone. Go swimming with a friend or family member.
2. Check the swimming conditions in advance (is there any currents, is the water clean(?), is it easy to get in and out of water?).
3. Unpack your towel, swim robe / jumpsuit - it needs to be easy to grap when you get out of the water.
WHEN YOU ARE IN THE WATER:
4. Breathe calmly - take deep breath - try not to hyper-ventilate.
5. Keep an eye on each other in the water.
6. Stay close to the pier or stairs. If you are going into the water from the shore, remember to wear swim shoes, which makes it a lot easier for you to get in and out of the water.
WHEN YOU GET OUT OF THE WATER:
7. Dry yourself with a towel. You can also choose to keep on the water drops, but be aware that they will keep you cooler, if your robe is not made of cotton (pure cotton terry can absorb the water drops).
8. Wear windproof clothing that is quick and easy to put on, such as a robe or jumpsuit.
9. Try not to stand directly no the cold ground / pier. This will make your feet even colder, even though it is just for a few seconds. Stand on something that insulates, e.g. a stepping pad or small towel.
10. Enjoy the blood flow and the renewed energy in your body.
Swim & smile,
Ida & Barbara
Founders of NORDBAEK, Denmark